Friday, February 6, 2009

No, Not the Vet

One of the things I dread most in life is to take our cat to the vet. Fortunately, I don’t have to do it too often. But at the beginning of the week, Indy was in a brawl with the neighborhood bully cat—in our garage. He received a flesh wound to the leg, which bled some, but didn’t seem too bad. We kept him in the house in the hopes that he would get better without a dreaded trip to the vet. However, after five days passed, he still wasn’t putting any weight on his leg, so I decided to bite the bullet and take him in.
He hates being in his cat carrier. I put him in, and he shot out through the door, which I didn’t realize was unlocked. I chased him down and found him under Josh’s bed, way in the back where I couldn’t reach him. I had to take Josh’s bed apart to get at him (and found two batteries and some change in between the box and the mattress. ???) I put him in the carrier a second time, and after struggling for several minutes, got it locked down.
Then the meowing started up. That’s the worst part, this pitiful, mew, mew, which, if translated, would probably mean something like, "let me out, please, please, please, I’ll do anything you want, just please let me out . . . . I tried to tell him it was okay, that he’d be all right, that we were going to make him better. But still, the mewing continued, all the way to the vet.
Somewhere in there, I started to wonder if Heavenly Father ever felt like I was feeling. Does He ever get tired of my pitiful mewing? "Don’t do this to me! Or "Please, please, please, do this for me," And all the time, he’s really doing what’s best. I wonder if sometimes I run and hide. Or do I refuse to understand when He’s telling me it will be all right? Next time I catch myself mewing, I’ll try to remember that.
Anyway, Indy is home. He took off and hid as soon as I brought him in the house. Clearly, he’s mad at me. I hope in a few days, once he starts feeling better, he’ll realize I had his best interests at heart. But he probably won’t. He’s just a cat.
I just hope he does start feeling better. I’d hate to have to take him to the vet again.

3 comments:

Josh said...

I don't know what the batteries were doing in there, but the change was probably just from my change collection. What did the vet say about his leg?

Christi said...

Poor kitty. That's so sad but I hope he feels better. Cats are like kids, aren't they? Maybe he won't remember in a few years :-)

The Webb Family said...

Hi Alison
This is Andrea Webb, (Val & Ila Smith's youngest) I live in St. George and my oldest son, Braxton, is in Kindergarten at Sunset Elem. Last night was his turn to bring home the principle's book of the month. Which was 'The Wheat Doll'. We sat down to read it and after discussing the assigned questions, which included one about the author and saying your name outloud, I was so excited to tell Braxton that not only did I know the author, but we are also related! I was so excited I had to call my mom! Braxton thought it was pretty neat & so we went a note to his teacher telling her about how I we both were from the same town and that I knew you and your family. Just thought I would share this with you and let you know that your book was picked by one of the committees (can't remember now what it was called)of the Washington county school district as one of the district wide readers for this year. Wonderful book, we both enjoyed it!!

Andrea